Insurance FAQ

Main heating system

The total failure or complete breakdown, whether or not caused by accidental damage, of the main heating system (including a central heating boiler, all radiators, hot water pipes and water storage tanks) in the property. If your property is powered by a biomass boiler or anaerobic digester system, the insurer will reimburse up to £1,000 for your own contractor to help.

Plumbing & drainage

The sudden damage to, or blockage or breakage or flooding of, the drains or plumbing system including water storage tanks, taps and pipework located within the property, which results in a property emergency.

Property security

Damage to (whether or not accidental) or the failure of external doors, windows or locks; which compromises the security of the property.

Toilet unit

Breakage or mechanical failure of the toilet bowl or cistern resulting in the loss of function provided that there is no other toilet in the property.

Domestic power supply

The failure, whether or not caused accidentally, of the property’s domestic electricity or gas supply.

Lost keys

The loss or theft of the only available keys if you cannot replace them to gain access to the property.

Vermin infestation

Vermin causing damage inside the property or a health risk to your tenant(s).

Alternative accommodation costs

Your tenant(s) overnight accommodation costs including transport to such accommodation following a property emergency which renders the property unsafe, unsecure or uncomfortable to stay in overnight – maximum £250 including VAT.

When can I buy a Residential Landlords’ Emergency Insurance policy?

At any time when another landlord insurance is effected, but if an insured event happens within the first 48 hours of cover when you purchase this policy at a different date from any other related insurance policy, the claim will be excluded.

What is meant by level of cover/benefit?

The level of cover or claim benefit is a maximum of £1000 towards the cost of rectifying the emergency for which an acceptable claim is made.

Which homes are excluded from Residential Landlords’ insurance?

Any residential dwelling that is not located in Great Britain and Northern Ireland and which does not provide self-contained accommodation for let to tenants for residential purposes.

Can I transfer my Residential Landlords’ Emergency cover to a different property?

Unfortunately, Residential Landlords’ Emergency policies are not transferable.

How long Can I take a Residential Landlords’ Emergency policy out for?

Policies are for a term of 1 year.

Is my Residential Landlords’ Emergency policy protected?

The insurers are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) established under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. You may be entitled to compensation of up to 90% of the cost of your claim in the unlikely event that the insurer cannot meet its obligations. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available at

What things does my Residential Landlords’ Emergency policy not cover?

All insurances have exclusions of cover, most of which are common-sense and protect insurers from unfair claims. The full list of policy exclusions can be found in the policy wording; however, the following is a useful summary and you are not covered for any claim from or relating to: 1. emergency costs which have been incurred before we accept a claim. 2. an Insured event which happens within the first 48 hours of cover if you purchase this policy at a different date from any other related insurance policy. 3. emergency costs where there is no one at the property when the contractor arrives. 4. any matter occurring prior to, or existing at the start of the policy, and which you believed or ought reasonably to have believed could give rise to a claim under this policy. 5. any wilful or negligent act or omission or any third party interference or faulty workmanship which does not comply with recognised industry standards or manufacturer’s instructions. 6. a main heating system (including a central heating boiler) which is more than 15 years old 7. LPG fuelled, oil fired, warm air and solar heating systems or boilers with an output over 60Kw/hr 8. the cost of making permanent repairs including any redecoration or making good the fabric of the property: a. once the property emergency situation has been resolved b. arising from damage caused: i. in the course of the repair or ii. in the course of investigation of the cause of the Insured event or iii. in gaining access to the property 9. the interruption, failure or disconnection of the mains electricity, mains gas or mains water supply 10. the replacement of parts that suffer damage or the gradual process of wear and tear over time (such as dripping taps, washers or discs forming part of a tank pipe or tap) 11. your garage (except a central heating boiler located in a connecting garage), outbuildings, boundary walls, fences, hedges, cess pit, fuel tank or septic tank 12. the property being left unoccupied for more than 30 days consecutively unless you usually let out your property and are actively seeking a tenant 13. goods or materials covered by a manufacturer’s, supplier’s or installer’s warranty 14. the failure of equipment or facilities which have not been installed, maintained or serviced in accordance with legal regulations or manufacturer’s instructions, or which is caused by a design fault which makes them inadequate or unfit for use 15. a claim covered by another policy, or any claim that would have been covered by any other policy if this policy did not exist 16. subsidence, landslip or heave 17. blockage of supply or waste pipes to the property due to freezing weather conditions.

How do I make a claim on my HOME EMERGENCY policy?

1. Please telephone 0345 155 9784 (lines are open 24 hours day, 365 days a year) as soon as possible, providing us with your name, insured property address, postcode, and the nature of the problem. 2. The claim administrator will record your details and then decide on the best course of action to limit your loss and/or repair the damage. If the incident relates to an emergency covered under this policy, a member of the emergency contractor network will be contacted. Poor weather conditions or remote locations may affect normal standards of service. 3. If your property is powered by a biomass boiler or anaerobic digester system, your details will be checked and it will be agreed for you to choose a suitable expert to help. You will have to pay the contractor and send your receipt to the claim administrator, who will then reimburse your claim. Please send your receipt to or ARAG plc, 9 Whiteladies Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1NN. 4. If you are claiming for alternative accommodation costs for your tenant(s) you must obtain our authority to incur costs before any bookings are made. Your tenant(s) will have to pay for the accommodation when they check out and send the receipt to you, to forward to the claim administrator to be reimbursed. 5. It is important you call the helpline us as soon as possible to report a claim, and do not call out your own contractors unless the claim administrator agrees this because otherwise their costs will not be met and it could stop your claim being covered.