All insurances have exclusions of cover, most of which are common-sense and protect insurers from unfair claims. The full list of policy exclusions can be found in the policy wording; however, the following is a useful summary and you are not covered for any claim from or relating to:
1. emergency costs which have been incurred before we accept a claim.
2. an Insured event which happens within the first 48 hours of cover if you purchase this policy at a different date from any other related insurance policy.
3. emergency costs where there is no one at the property when the contractor arrives.
4. any matter occurring prior to, or existing at the start of the policy, and which you believed or ought reasonably to have believed could give rise to a claim under this policy.
5. any wilful or negligent act or omission or any third party interference or faulty workmanship which does not comply with recognised industry standards or manufacturer’s instructions.
6. a main heating system (including a central heating boiler) which is more than 15 years old
7. LPG fuelled, oil fired, warm air and solar heating systems or boilers with an output over 60Kw/hr
8. the cost of making permanent repairs including any redecoration or making good the fabric of the property:
a. once the property emergency situation has been resolved
b. arising from damage caused:
i. in the course of the repair or
ii. in the course of investigation of the cause of the Insured event
iii. in gaining access to the property
9. the interruption, failure or disconnection of the mains electricity, mains gas or mains water supply
10. the replacement of parts that suffer damage or the gradual process of wear and tear over time (such as dripping taps, washers or discs forming part of a tank pipe or tap)
11. your garage (except a central heating boiler located in a connecting garage), outbuildings, boundary walls, fences, hedges, cess pit, fuel tank or septic tank
12. the property being left unoccupied for more than 30 days consecutively unless you usually let out your property and are actively seeking a tenant
13. goods or materials covered by a manufacturer’s, supplier’s or installer’s warranty
14. the failure of equipment or facilities which have not been installed, maintained or serviced in accordance with legal regulations or manufacturer’s instructions, or which is caused by a design fault which makes them inadequate or unfit for use
15. a claim covered by another policy, or any claim that would have been covered by any other policy if this policy did not exist
16. subsidence, landslip or heave
17. blockage of supply or waste pipes to the property due to freezing weather conditions.